Monday, May 4, 2015

A sense of community


Picture retrieved from: Red Emma's Instagram

It was coincidental that the Baltimore unrest happened during our time in this class. While we were researching and listening to various interviews, I know many of us speculated our own opinions about the city. How different businesses in the city provided  certain atmospheres and served a particular population. For instance, Red Emma's. When I went into Red Emma's for my adventures and four our field trip, I was surprised.Compared to the people walking around outside and people inside of Red Emma's are two different atmospheres. During the unrest, it was so heartwarming to see businesses such as Red Emma's to open doors and serve people they normally wouldn't. To see businesses and community leaders come together and serve showed a sense of accountability towards one another. Reading and learning about the riots in 1968 seemed forever ago, but it seems like history may be repeating itself for the better.

I've learned so much in this class from when I initially started. I know now that this yearning to learn more about the city will not end after this class. I will continue to adventure out to Baltimore and dig deep into it's history. It's interesting to know about the up comings of attractions and businesses which help us to cherish them even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment